Are you looking forward to formatting the SD card but confused about where to start from? Don’t panic and read on to find different methods to get this job done right in a few clicks.
Formatting the SD card is mandatory if you wish to enjoy more space and work efficiently.
However, make sure to keep the back of the pre-existing files as this process will delete all information permanently.
If you have no idea about how to format SD Card on Windows, Mac, DSLR, and GoPro, then worry not, as you have landed at TechAmple. This is the rightmost place to know the same.
Just scroll down the page and make yourself aware of the step-by-step procedure to get it done in a breeze.
When to Format & When To Reformat The SD Card?
Speaking of formatting, it is always good to format SD Card after using the same as it frees up space and makes it ready for the next task.
Once you are done with clicking photographs or downloading your favorite tracks, copy the data in one folder and format the card in just a few clicks.
Simple, isn’t it? Formatting and reformatting the SD Card is not rocket science, and it can be done without seeking professional advice.
Just get it done by following the process step by step and get your card ready for the next use.
Make sure to maintain the backup so that you will not lose the data forever.
1. How to Format SD Card On Windows?
Thinking about How to Format SD Card on Windows? Follow the instructions mentioned here to accomplish the task in less than no time.
- To initiate the process, get an SD card inserted into your system with Windows either by using the USB slot or SD card reader.
- After that, move your cursor to This PC available in the left corner of the Windows. Click to open the same and locate your SD card.
- Right-click the SD card and tap on the Format button.
- As soon as you click on the format, a pop-up message will appear on the screen stating ‘Formatting Will Erase All Data’. Click on the OK button to launch the Format SD Card process.
- Once it is completed, you will witness a Complete Format window on the screen. Hit the OK button.
- If you wish to restore the SD card to its actual settings, select Restore Device Defaults.
Screenshot from step 3: Right-click on SD card and tap format.
Screenshot from step 4: click on quick format and start.
Screenshot from step 4: read the warning and click OK.
screenshot from step 5: after completing the format click OK.
2. How to Format SD Card On Mac?
Don’t know how to format SD Card on Mac? Don’t worry about it and scroll down the page to get updated with the step-by-step process.
- Use the external card reader to insert the SD Card into your system.
- Access the Disk Utility and locate your SD Card. It will either appear with a name that you have given to the same or as untitled if it is new.
- Find out the Erase tab and click on the same to proceed further.
- Open the drop-down menu and select the Format option. Keep in mind that if your card is 32GB or smaller, then go for the MS-DOS (FAT) option; otherwise, select ExFAT for cards of 64GB or more.
- Once you pick the card and click to format the same, a confirmation window will be displayed on the screen, stating, “Are you sure you want to erase the partition.” Tap on the Erase button to confirm the SD card formatting, and you are done.
Screenshot from steps 2 and 3: Access the disk utility check sd card and click erase.
Screenshot from step 4: check name and format and click on erase button.
Screenshot from step 5: after erase process is complete click done.
3. How to Format Camera SD Card?
Formatting the SD Card on the Camera is not time-consuming as you don’t need any additional gear to accomplish this task.
Carry forward the format SD Card procedure and get it done within the least possible time.
- To begin the process, open the Camera and press the Menu button.
- In the next step, you need to go to the Camera Setting 1 tab.
- Now, click on the Format option.
- Select OK to get the formatting done.
Screenshot from step 3: click format.
Screenshot from step 4: check low-level format click ok.
Make sure to copy the images to more than one place because you will get nothing in return once the formatting is done.
4. How to Format SD Card on GoPro?
GoPro Camera adds a basic file structure when the SD Card is formatted in-camera.
If you have no idea about how to format SD Card on GoPro, worry not and apply the instructions mentioned below.
Don’t miss out on any of the single steps to avoid further hiccups. The best part is that you don’t need any additional gear to initiate the Format SD Card process.
- Access the camera settings and swipe down to the View Menu button.
- Click on the Preferences and tap on the Reset button.
- Now, select the Format SD Card button.
- Once you click on the Formatting button, you will see a pop-up window on the screen with the message confirming the deletion of the existing data.
- Tap on the Format button, and congratulations, you are done with SD Card formatting.
Screenshot from step 3: select format SD card.
Screenshot from step 5: click on format.
Screenshot from step 5: SD card formatting.
5. How to Format your SD Card In Android?
Having trouble reading information off your SD card and wish to start from scratch but don’t know how to format SD Card on your Android-enabled smartphone? Don’t worry, and we’ve got your back with the step-by-step instructions regarding the same.
Let’s have a look!!
- First of all, head to the Settings option.
- Go to the Storage tab and tap on the three dots available in the right corner.
- In the next step, Select Advanced > SD Card.
- Click on the Format button, and you are finished.
Keep in mind that it is an irreversible process, and make sure you are happy after deleting the information.
Screenshot from step 2: go to the storage.
Screenshot from step 3: select advance and click on SD card.
Screenshot from step 4: click on format.
Reasons To Format SD Card
There are multiple reasons to launch the ‘Format SD Card’ procedure. Some of them are listed here for the readers’ sake of convenience. Take a look!!
- Formatting helps eliminate the extraneous issues from the SD Card and makes it all set for the next use.
- This is done to improve the overall performance of the memory card. Therefore, it is suggested to format SD Card from time to time.
- Formatting maintains data privacy and, therefore, it would be recommended. You are advised to store the data from more than one place to keep the backup and protect unauthorized access information.
If you don’t know how to format SD Card, then follow the procedure and instructions mentioned above and complete the task in no time.
The Final Word
I hope this article finds you well and gives you the appropriate answer to the question – how to format SD Card.
You are advised to go through the procedure entirely and follow the same accordingly to satiate your requirements.
Formatting the SD Card is not a back-breaking task, and one can do the same within a blink of an eye.
However, must keep in mind that it is completely irreversible and, therefore, save the information in the dedicated folder before initiating the formatting process.